First Co-signatories of the RMC-Covenant Circular Economy 2022
|Regional or Local entities
The Covenant is a value chain based public-private coordination scheme, inspired by the Covenant of Mayors on climatic change.
Focus on circular and collaborative economy at regional and city level, where resources are managed efficient, material and energy flows are minimised and waste is transformed into resources.
The partners of this collaborative scheme will set their internal agreement in the form of a Covenant
- The initiative is part of the European Innovation Partnership (EIP) on Raw Materials and will support Regions and Cities – their economic and social
- Launched by the EC with the participation of Member States, Regions, Cities, Industry
- Will be signed in spring 2016 by Regions and Cities
- Leads to action plans at regional level
- Delivering results by 2022, the time of Rio+30 conference during a Summit of Resource Efficiency and Prosperity Partnerships
- Membership fee: 10,000 € per annum
To accelerate the transition towards a new development model, the RMC-Covenant Circular Economy 2022 is a Value Chain Collaborative Scheme, with an online www.Covenant2022.eu Community.
The objective is to mobilise the power of many and to become an Institution of the 21st century in a digital era:
- Open source to encourage partners of critical raw materials value chains, in a digital economy, to measure and leverage resource productivity performance. The platform involves partners from across the value chains, including exploration, mining, processing, recycling, application, public sectors (national/regional/local) and civil society, while respecting the conditions of each value chain.
- Open coordination, Covenant2022.eu is a common multi-stakeholder platform to share knowledge, assess progress & develop an open-coordination addressing resource productivity of value chain at territorial (Region/City), EU and International levels. The platform is a partnership between actors involved in several RMC’s, smart specialization programmes and clusters addressing key raw materials contributing to regional development, green economy and better life. This ‘collaborative economy platform’ is intending to involve actors of the 7 pillars of a circular and performance economy in a systemic eco-innovative process focused on value chain management related to critical raw materials for Europe, as identified by the EU.
- Open supply between value chain actors making use of the power of the purse, offering innovation, technological and non-technological as well new forms of international co-operation, able to generate innovation and reduce costs.
- Online trust infrastructure. The Covenant 2022 expected impacts are to make value chain more efficient and value chain partners more responsible and accountable to create a leverage to mobilize the ‘power of many’.
The platform will be equipped -with the help of its Members- with indicators and reporting mechanism in line with the EIP Raw Materials. Guidelines related to the governance of value chains, toolkits related to resource productivity for specific sectors, services to RMC’s partners, coaching value chain management and a finance desk.
The RMC-Covenant Circular Economy 2022 will be a UN Rio+30 pilot multi-stakeholders partnership, under the patronage of the United Nations and the EU, focussing on Resource Productivity and value chain management.